Monday, September 1, 2008

Arbeit macht frei

I spent much of Labor Day working, appropriately enough I suppose. Not so much on my paying job yet, although the night is no more than middle-aged and I do need to get some things done for that before tomorrow. Mostly it was yard work, attempting to tame the trees and bushes (not to mention some sort of vine) that are trying to overwhelm the house. G was outside at first as well with his mother, grandma and brothers. They were also working on the yard - among other things, they were planting three small trees, one for each boy. G started getting tired just about the time the preparations for planting the trees were finished, so he didn't really participate much in the planting. Turning the water on and using the hose to get the ground wet was interesting enough to hold his attention for a while, but the closest I could get to having him participate in the actual placing of the tree in the ground was to hold him while I did it. After that he came inside at my place and quickly fell asleep. That put an end to my pruning for a while, so I started cleaning the kitchen instead. While G was sleeping his grandma took his brothers to the movie and his mother went shopping, so I got to hang out with him all afternoon and into the evening. After he woke up I decided to fire up the charcoal grill and barbecue some pork for dinner. I asked G if he wanted to come help, but he was interested in a show on TV so he declined. Then as I was on my way to start the fire he asked me, very seriously, "Dad, is the house going to blow up?" It didn't, and the pork turned out great.

1 comment:

Shellie said...

What a vote of confidence-glad the house didn't blow up!